• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 anyone dislike RE5?

RedPanda

4x the awesome
more than anything the lame shooting mechanism,terrible Sheva AI...(if you play her ,it's a NON-issue,so stop da sheva hate! people use the **** AI as a cover for racism all the time...) an everything about Wesker made ZERO sense...
Finally, someone who understands! It's not Sheva's fault that the AI sucks. I actually really liked her and think they could totally develope her character more in the future, instead of just being pushed around by Chris the whole time.

Anyway, while I personally wouldn't say 5 was one of the best entries in the series or anything like that, I really enjoyed it. The story was serviceable (unlike 6, my main gripe with that game), the gameplay was fun, and even though it wasn't the scariest by any means, it kept me engaged the whole time. I would definitely agree that there are waaaaaaaaay too many boss fights, and tedious ones at that, but I still really enjoyed it. It also has my favorite iteration of Mercs (which I absolutely love in all forms. I personally find it much more enjoyable than Raid, though I like that too). If I have a hankering for some Mercs, 5 is still the one I go to most often. 6 is too easy and 4 is too difficult (imo), but I thought 5 had a nice balance of difficulty.

RE6 rant incoming: To all of the people who found Leon's chapter to be an example of "true" survival horror, may I kindly ask, WHY!? His was my least favorite chapter. It was just as actiony as the other chapters. The only difference was that the pace was obnoxiously slow and way too many inanimate objects got in Leon's way. The whole thing with the university at the beginning was a little creepy, I'll give you that. But if you think that's how the future of RE should look, I weep for the series.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
RE6 rant incoming: To all of the people who found Leon's chapter to be an example of "true" survival horror, may I kindly ask, WHY!? His was my least favorite chapter. It was just as actiony as the other chapters. The only difference was that the pace was obnoxiously slow and way too many inanimate objects got in Leon's way. The whole thing with the university at the beginning was a little creepy, I'll give you that. But if you think that's how the future of RE should look, I weep for the series.

I've been saying this since the game came out, there is absolutely nothing scary about Leon's RE6 campaign, it has just as much, if not more action than Chris's, with the only difference being that Leon's enemies are zombies that don't shoot back (well, most of the time), and Raccoon City is mentioned every two minutes. That alone seems to be enough to fool some fans into believing that everything is back to how it once was.

As for RE5, I'd love to play it again, especially now that PC gamers also got the DLCs, but I just can't! I've gotten so used to RE6 and Revelations 2 controls (especially the dodge mechanics) that every game before those has become unplayable to me (except the classics, which I can easily get back into because they use a completely different control system). I can go without moving and shooting at the same time, but I desperately need those dodge moves, especially when an executioner is coming right at me swinging its axe.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium
People actually compare the campaigns in terms of which one was the scariest? Who cares? All of the campaigns intertwine anyway.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
RE6 had its good moments but there was just too much going on in the game that you couldn't really take it all in. Everything was rushed and new characters were featured as well as old character being brought back. And then they hiped everyone up with the whole Leon and Chris meeting for the first time but that lasted a total of maybe 5 minutes at best.

I did enjoy Ada's campaign though, I think that may be my favorite one. I just like her personality and how she keeps her cool. I'd be a friggin mess.

Chris' was my second favorite, but I'm a sucker for him.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't think anyone other than Capcom has ever called Leon's campaign "true" survival horror. At least not to my knowledge. As a fan of the survival horror the series used to be known for, I actually liked Leon's campaign quite a lot. It's definitely the best and most polished of the four. But not once have I ever praised it for it's return to the series' roots. If anything, I detest the first 15 minutes of his campaign for how much it tries to fool us into thinking it's survival horror when really it's just a waste of time. But the rest is fantastic and even does things a lot better than RE4 and RE5. The atmosphere is actually dark and further brought to life with its amazing lighting and soundtrack. Not to mention how great the settings are in general compared to the rest of the game. Co-op is a million times better than RE5. Zombies are back and while not as terrifying as they used to be, are still a sh*t ton more fun to kill than the J'avo's in Chris' and Jake's campaigns. It has amazing set pieces and actually does a great job of blending cinematics with gameplay which I think is often overlooked.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Completely agree with you @Airaku

Resident Evil 5
is the one game in the entire series that I played the most and for hours on end, especially when the downloadable content came out. Gameplay wise it is absolutely fun and I loved the mercenaries for the game. Story wise, however, it is a bit meh, I especially did not like how Wesker was killed off. I look at the concept art as well as some of the things that didn't make the cut, like Chris being on his own without a character like Sheva, and think that is could have been a more solid RE game with some scarier moments. If anything have Sheva or Josh as a background character and not always with you, this would have been more effective in creating a scarier atmosphere.

Not to bash Sheva because she is a cool character, but the reason why they had to create her character is very frustrating. Friggin race card always getting played. Fact is we will never see those two characters ever again because they only served one purpose, to make Chris not look like a racist bastard shooting up crowds of black people.

Anyways I still actually love this game and would even go as far as saying it is my favorite one despite its flaws. I actually prefer playing through it over any other RE game (including RE6).

I don't consider Sheva a race card at all. I mean come on... she hardly looks black at all. She looks like a 50/50 like one of her parents were black and the other was white. Hell it's been examined by expects on race and racism and even they said the game isn't racist. xD It's consistent with it's setting and that all. Another problem with Sheva is that she displays no sense of personality in the game... to be honest, neither did Chris. He was just Captain America of the RE universe. It was Albert who really shined in that game, as did Jill even though I didn't like what they did to her after my first play through.

I also heard that they originally had Barry in the game who you would meet up with and the both of you would work to take down Albert. I think that this would have been amazing since it would have a Justice/Revenge plot. Chris would want to bring Albert to justice, where Barry would want to kill him for revenge. Also Jill seemed to have a more interesting role as the BSAA did exist in the original but she was a commander. I wonder if Barry was involved as well because it was him that saved her canon logically after Nemesis (Last Escape). The original plot of RE5 was FAR more consistent with all the older games and the characters seemed to live true to their older personalities. Chris... was really changed.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I don't consider Sheva a race card at all. I mean come on... she hardly looks black at all. She looks like a 50/50 like one of her parents were black and the other was white. Hell it's been examined by expects on race and racism and even they said the game isn't racist. xD It's consistent with it's setting and that all. Another problem with Sheva is that she displays no sense of personality in the game... to be honest, neither did Chris. He was just Captain America of the RE universe. It was Albert who really shined in that game, as did Jill even though I didn't like what they did to her after my first play through.

I also heard that they originally had Barry in the game who you would meet up with and the both of you would work to take down Albert. I think that this would have been amazing since it would have a Justice/Revenge plot. Chris would want to bring Albert to justice, where Barry would want to kill him for revenge. Also Jill seemed to have a more interesting role as the BSAA did exist in the original but she was a commander. I wonder if Barry was involved as well because it was him that saved her canon logically after Nemesis (Last Escape). The original plot of RE5 was FAR more consistent with all the older games and the characters seemed to live true to their older personalities. Chris... was really changed.

Why I mentioned the race card is because the game originally was only supposed to have Chris and then somewhere along the line Barry was going to be Chris' partner, and then people began to question how things appeared and started to think that it just looked "wrong". Which is when CAPCOM decided to design the Sheva character.

The Barry team-up would have been so amazing though and would have flowed more with the RE story.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Why I mentioned the race card is because the game originally was only supposed to have Chris and then somewhere along the line Barry was going to be Chris' partner, and then people began to question how things appeared and started to think that it just looked "wrong". Which is when CAPCOM decided to design the Sheva character.

The Barry team-up would have been so amazing though and would have flowed more with the RE story.

I agree but I still didn't see the raciest remarks even back then. I still don't now... and I hate racism with a passion. It makes no sense to me at all and I don't see even a hint of racism in RE5. Not even a pinch of seasoning and spice!

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
That's because there isn't anything racist, and it never was racist even before they went with the Sheva direction, some individuals saw things "differently" to put it simply. I thought I read an Internet article once on it but I don't really feel like searching for the article right now.

But why else would they have gone against the Barry and Chris team up? That alone sounds awesome and just would have made the most sense for the sake of the flow of the series' story.

Again though I still enjoy RE5 and even like Sheva. But watching the original RE5 trailer I feel like it would have been a totally different and better game had they gone that direction. I think it would have been scarier even with the daylight settings because Chris was on his own fighting hoards of angry, infected villagers.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Resident Evil is an evolving story - all the main games exist in relation to one another. If all or most of the games had black enemies and white protagonists... then I'd say yes, something is definitely up. But the enemies so far have been portrayed by every ethnicity save for asians.

I don't mind replacing Barry with Sheva - to be honest I don't really get the mass appeal of Barry but to each her own and Sheva's ass is like a 10. I still think it would have made more sense for Sheva and Jill to switch roles after Jill is saved from the brainwashing ladybug. Jill should have went forth to kill Wesker with Chris and Sheva should have gone with Josh for Desperate Escape.

I think that may be off-topic. Sorry.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I'll be replying to both of you in this message :)

I know what article you're referring to. I've read quite a few of them in the past and honestly... I don't understand where they are getting this information from... It's been debunked by people who spend years researching racism in the human psyche. Like Femme Fatale said they have displayed almost every race in the game as enemies. Even Asain's actually... I would imagine that those Zombies in China were... you know... Chinese? Even if they kind of recycled the character models a little bit. The whole argument proposed is moot.

I agree that Barry would have been a better character than Sheva because of the chemistry and story. I personally think the true "Family Reunion" needed to be Barry, Chris, and Jill. They are the original three that were in the original game and all share mutual feelings toward Albert Wesker. Barry had a special hatred for him.

As for Sheva, I'm really happy for her and I'll let her finish. But Jill Valentine has one of the best asses of all time! Best ass of all time!

RedPanda

4x the awesome
I'll be replying to both of you in this message :)

I know what article you're referring to. I've read quite a few of them in the past and honestly... I don't understand where they are getting this information from... It's been debunked by people who spend years researching racism in the human psyche. Like Femme Fatale said they have displayed almost every race in the game as enemies. Even Asain's actually... I would imagine that those Zombies in China were... you know... Chinese? Even if they kind of recycled the character models a little bit. The whole argument proposed is moot.

I agree that Barry would have been a better character than Sheva because of the chemistry and story. I personally think the true "Family Reunion" needed to be Barry, Chris, and Jill. They are the original three that were in the original game and all share mutual feelings toward Albert Wesker. Barry had a special hatred for him.

As for Sheva, I'm really happy for her and I'll let her finish. But Jill Valentine has one of the best asses of all time! Best ass of all time!
Allow me to start by saying Sheva's booty game is EASILY the strongest in the series. I see what you're saying though. As Chris, Jill, and Barry are the original 3 with a reason to hate Wesker's guts (as last list began to exoand quite quickly) it would make sense for them to be the ones who eventually take him out, but I personally really like Sheva and I think it makes sense to have Chris partner up with someone who knows the area better. In fact, realistically it doesn't even make sense for Chris to be there, but Capcom wasn't going to have 2 people we've never heard of take down Wesker, as we can all imagine how that would have gone down, so I guess they decided to meet halfway? Either way, I think the story and game as a whole were fine as is. People always like to believe that what they can't have is better than what they've got. After all, people went crazy when they saw the footage from the RE4 prototype and talked about how much better the game would have been, when I felt that it looked incredibly underwhelming and the RE4 we have now is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. I mean heck, there were even some people (not many though I hope) who wanted RE1.5 instead of 2. My point being, I think we should be satisfied with the RE5 that does actually exist.

RE4 Prototype:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Nuuuuuuuuu Jill's ass in Revelations and Lost in Nightmares is perfect. She'd crush Sheva by sitting on her :3

I agree with you about RE4 and being thankful for what we have with RE5. I liked the other version of RE4 and the enemies look very interesting. Hookman and the dolls had potential of being some of the great enemies the series has seen. However the game doesn't look nearly as fun as the game we got in the end, which happens to be one of the greatest games of all time. Would that have been the case with the older version? Probably not, it would have been the same old style with a more interesting setting.

As for RE5 I do think the original story was much better. It makes sense to me for Chris to be there because he was always a wolf who was in search for answers. One way or another... he would have ended up there... or where ever a major Umbrella lab that contains secrets was located. It was also fate that he would encounter Albert Wesker again, but I still feel Barry was a better fit for killing Wesker off. He was the one who happened to be effected the most by his actions. That's not to say Albert didn't effect Chris or Jill because clearly he did xD

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
@Airaku Finally someone who thinks the same way about Jill's ass like me ;)

But since this thread isn't about the backside of the RE ladies...

Personally, RE5 could have been better and the original story sounded more interesting, but in the end the game was decent and I certainly enjoyed it more than RE6 (which is the worst RE game ever, imo)

Airaku

Stray Jedi
@Airaku Finally someone who thinks the same way about Jill's ass like me ;)

But since this thread isn't about the backside of the RE ladies...

Personally, RE5 could have been better and the original story sounded more interesting, but in the end the game was decent and I certainly enjoyed it more than RE6 (which is the worst RE game ever, imo)

*hi-5*

Though is RE6 really worse that Operation Raccoon City? I don't think so... RE6 was at least fun and the story behind some of the characters like Chris and Jake were great. I really liked Chris in the game, far better than his bland Captain America personality from RE5.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
*hi-5*

Though is RE6 really worse that Operation Raccoon City? I don't think so... RE6 was at least fun and the story behind some of the characters like Chris and Jake were great. I really liked Chris in the game, far better than his bland Captain America personality from RE5.
No way. Honestly, I think the only good quality about ORC was seeing updated models of Leon, Claire, Jill, Carlos, and Ada circa Raccoon City era. RE6 was actually a pretty good game, just nowhere near the best.

And I don't know how good a Chris/Barry RE5 would have been, but I'm sure they ended up going with the one they did for a reason, and therefor I'll trust their judgment.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
No way. Honestly, I think the only good quality about ORC was seeing updated models of Leon, Claire, Jill, Carlos, and Ada circa Raccoon City era. RE6 was actually a pretty good game, just nowhere near the best.

And I don't know how good a Chris/Barry RE5 would have been, but I'm sure they ended up going with the one they did for a reason, and therefor I'll trust their judgment.

I couldn't agree with you more! :p RE6 was still a good game, even if it's one of the weakest in the series. It brought some really innovative gameplay mechanics to the series. Even if they weren't needed. A bit of a change that was fun while it lasted. The quality was lacking compared to most of the other games, and the fantastic physics and AI that the series is known for.... was gone. That is my biggest complaint of the game.

Well... reading a major summary of the game. The reason for the change was actually a big one. It had nothing to do with the actual story but to add co-op play as one of the main features of the game. In that sense they had to remove or modify a lot of the areas and puzzles from the game. It also changed the whole story to allow for Sheva to be more than just a side character. Originally she was going to be somewhat like the merchant but involved later on.

You can really see some of the modified areas that were changed. The room with the progenitor flowers for example was originally intended to be the first spot where you find that Wesker was alive and you fight him for the first time there. One on one, rather than two on two later on.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Honestly, I think the only good quality about ORC was seeing updated models of Leon, Claire, Jill, Carlos, and Ada circa Raccoon City era.

Oh dear, I wish Capcom had just put masks on their faces like they did with the Wolfpack. ORC Claire looks like a drug addict who doesn't get enough sleep, Jill seems to have her Revelations face, Carlos traded his muscles for fat, and I don't even remember the others, but that's probably for the best. All characters look nice in the pre-rendered cutscenes and images, but their in-game models are scarier than the monsters.

I don't want to hate on ORC, though. It's far from my favourite game, but I had a lot of fun with it. I just wish it had been longer and better tied to the canon story, but I realise it was supposed to be a non-canon "What if" scenario side game, so it's okay.

As for the scrapped concept of pairing Chris and Barry for RE5, I wonder who of them would have thrown the other up high ledges or across chasms... Either way, I'm sure it would have looked hilarious.

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
*hi-5*

*hi-5's u back*

I never played ORC so.... It's not that bad and I also liked Chris in RE6 to some degree, although Piers is still better and I'm still mad Capcom decided to kill him off for the sake of dramatic effect and don't get me even started how they forgot to mention Jill... A woman that always played an important role in Chris' life yet she wasn't mentioned in any capacity (and that's still p*ssing me off, even to this day).
It's not that hard to make me happy in RE just give me Jill Valentine and I'm sold (That's why I like RE5 more), tough I'm not fond of her in Revelations. They messed her up big times.

Back in 2012 I had more fun with ME3 than RE6, but that's just me.

Top Bottom