• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 A Resident Evil 4 Remake?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Other than Resident Evil 2, I'd love to see Capcom remake Resident Evil 4. It's the only other game in the series big enough to receive that sort of treatment no matter what our fanboy minds want to think. I know it sounds silly, but it makes sense. Resident Evil 4 is Capcom's Super Mario Bros. It's been ported to hell and back with little to no changes because it doesn't need them. There's no doubt that the game holds up well by even today's standards, but that's no reason to dismiss a remake.

Much like The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, all I'm asking for is an update. A remake like this doesn't need additional locations or plot, it just needs to keep an incredibly active game fresh again. This can be achieved by offering new spectacular visuals, smooth animations, better physics, new puzzles and melee moves, and a remixed enemy pattern. We may think our precious Resident Evil 4 is perfect the way it is, but a remake can only enhance the experience.

Coming from someone who's played out Resident Evil 4, I would love for the game to feel new again. There were moments in the game that had me wishing it had been altered after having experienced it many times before. When Ashley was driving the bulldozer through the tunnel, I thought wouldn't it be really cool if El Gigante started chasing us from behind? Instead of seeing a generic gray background whenever Leon's using his communicator, maybe now we could see the actual background? Maybe we can even get a couple of new enemies and jump scares?

So what do you guys think? Would you like to see a REmake of Resident Evil 4 with new tricks and an enhanced atmosphere? Or screw that, Resident Evil 4 is overrated?

Last edited:

Orion Callisto

I want my jacket back.
That is a difficult question to answer. While I still consider it my favorite entry in the series, alongside REmake, 2 and Zero, it would be difficult to justify a remake of a game that has held up as well as it has. And, one could argue the current teams in charge of Resi may not have the skill to rework or remaster the game.

However, if it were done akin to Nintendo's work on WWHD, it could very well work. To see Resi 4's visuals rendered in a similar manner to Resi 6 would be lovely. And new gameplay elements would be interesting, at least in the form of puzzles and enemy encounters. The core gameplay should remain the same, as I think screwing with that could only imbalance the game. While I can't say I'm clamoring for it, it would be a nice surprise. (Well, kind of a surprise. Capcom is the king of repackaging and "remastering" content, as we all know.) And please, if they do it, let them give Ashley some kind of attack. A kick or something...who just stands there while Ganado shamble towards them? Oi...

Also, as a sidenote, I want to be able to play as Luis. No particular reason, I just like him. lol

Turo602

The King of Kings
That's precisely the idea. The game was amazing in its time, but can be even better today. I know Resident Evil 4 is probably one of the last games in the series we want remade but look at Wind Waker. It didn't need a remake, but it really did benefit from one in both playability and sales and that game, much like RE4 is considered one of the best of all time. I'm also glad you brought up Ashley, it reminded me of an idea I had while playing it recently. The whole "wait" thing felt a bit dated. There were moments in battle when it felt downright tedious having to walk her to safety while you're being swarmed by enemies. This can be fixed with a simple point and command feature. That way she can be more independent giving you a chance to avoid unecessary damage by constantly holding her hand.

The way I see it, if it's gonna be ported so much, at least make it new again. I can almost guarantee we're gonna see the recent HD PC port on Xbox One and PS4... A remake would be a million times better.

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
i can't really see this needing to be remade.
there should, and hopefully would be other priorities in the resident evil universe which could do with a remake before 4 does.

Turo602

The King of Kings
i can't really see this needing to be remade.
there should, and hopefully would be other priorities in the resident evil universe which could do with a remake before 4 does.

Like I said, 4 is the biggest of those so called priorities. Resident Evil 4 is an incredibly active game and popular name til this day and a remake would make more money than any of the previous games remade. The only other game worthy enough in the series is Resident Evil 2, and that's because it's been cried for since REmake's release. If they do that, they satisfy a hopeful bunch of their fanbase and potentially bring them back into the series. Resident Evil 3 and CVX doesn't really offer Capcom much in return.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I know I'm double posting, but I have something new to share. I stumbled upon this image on google and it's not exactly what I had in mind, but it still looks great nonetheless.
resident_evil_4_ultimate_hd_edition_2_0_alpha3_by_bowu-d76f6ww.png

I love the lighting and detail in the picture. Everything looks so much more 3-dimensional and realistic. More images can be found here. Enjoy.

Popo

Tbh I really don't believe that RE4 needs a remake, it's not like I love the game, but the game is perfect as it is. Perfect graphics, gameplay, and story, nothing can be improved enough for it to need a remake.

About RE2 and 3, I think they should both be remade into the same game, and these are games that although they are very good for their time, there is a lot that needs to be worked on, mainly graphics and gameplay, story being good but still could use improvements.

Orion Callisto

I want my jacket back.
I have to admit, I would rather see the REmake 2 and 3 idea, as those games need an update, especially to more accurately fit in with established canon. (And they'd sell like hotcakes, of course. lol) Plus, I'd like to see Leon and Ada voiced by their current VA's. Though, in a weird way, Capcom would likely say: "Hmmmmm...Resi 4 sells much. Make new one. MMMOOOOOONNNEEEEEEYYYYYYYY...." And then I can see Resi 4's remake instead of far more necessary ones. lol We are in the age of unnecessary HD updates and remakes, after all.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I think it could use a remake if it were older. It's only now 10 years old, plus it has so many ports, it just doesn't need it.

aintnoscrub

Premium
Like I said, 4 is the biggest of those so called priorities. Resident Evil 4 is an incredibly active game and popular name til this day and a remake would make more money than any of the previous games remade. The only other game worthy enough in the series is Resident Evil 2, and that's because it's been cried for since REmake's release. If they do that, they satisfy a hopeful bunch of their fanbase and potentially bring them back into the series. Resident Evil 3 and CVX doesn't really offer Capcom much in return.

and you know all this because you work for capcom, no i thought not.
re4 has been ported to death and slapped with a HD version, so surely doesn't require any more work. where as games like 2,3 and CVX could do with a touch up and i don't mean those awful rail shooters.

Turo602

The King of Kings
and you know all this because you work for capcom, no i thought not.

It's not rocket science...

re4 has been ported to death and slapped with a HD version, so surely doesn't require any more work.

You clearly haven't read the above.

where as games like 2,3 and CVX could do with a touch up and i don't mean those awful rail shooters.

And I agree with you, but it's not a realistic thought. Still waiting on a RE2 REmake here. Honestly, I could do without remakes of 3 and CVX. They're not really iconic games, but if it were to ever happen, I wouldn't be mad.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
And I agree with you, but it's not a realistic thought. Still waiting on a RE2 REmake here. Honestly, I could do without remakes of 3 and CVX. They're not really iconic games, but if it were to ever happen, I wouldn't be mad.
This is really the only part I disagree with. I DO agree that as a WHOLE RE2 is a bit more iconic than RE3, however, I think that Nemesis himself is such an icon to RE, that he alone would warrant a REmake of the entire game.

aintnoscrub

Premium
It's not rocket science...

your right it's not rocket science, but i bet if you reached out to the resident evil community they'd much prefer a re2/3/cvx remake over 4. i mean 4's not even that dated.

Turo602

The King of Kings
This is really the only part I disagree with. I DO agree that as a WHOLE RE2 is a bit more iconic than RE3, however, I think that Nemesis himself is such an icon to RE, that he alone would warrant a REmake of the entire game.

Yes, he is an iconic figure to the series, but Resident Evil 2 is the overall revered game among gamers. Plus, Nemesis was just a spinoff title.

your right it's not rocket science, but i bet if you reached out to the resident evil community they'd much prefer a re2/3/cvx remake over 4. i mean 4's not even that dated.

What does the Resident Evil community matter? When have they mattered in the past 9 years? I know what the fans want, I'm one of those fans. The point of this thread is to legitimately think about what a remake could offer a game like Resident Evil 4. Not b*tching about the older games. Look at my opening statement, what does that say? For a moment, try forgetting about those games and really think about how Resident Evil 4 could benefit from a remake.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Yes, he is an iconic figure to the series, but Resident Evil 2 is the overall revered game among gamers. Plus, Nemesis was just a spinoff title.

What does the Resident Evil community matter? When have they mattered in the past 9 years? I know what the fans want, I'm one of those fans. The point of this thread is to legitimately think about what a remake could offer a game like Resident Evil 4. Not b*tching about the older games. Look at my opening statement, what does that say? For a moment, try forgetting about those games and really think about how Resident Evil 4 could benefit from a remake.
Nemesis isn't a spin off title though. It's important to the story of RE, and is a main cannon game. I'm not arguing with you about 4. I actually DO think it deserves a REmake. From the ground up with the modern graphics of 6, a little more melee. A little LESS ammo. I think some small tweaks could make for a DAMNED good remake. That said, I think the popularity of Nemesis as the character would influence Capcom when it comes to a remake. I mean, he's still relevant. He was a character in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, 14 years after his debut as a "character."

Turo602

The King of Kings
Nemesis isn't a spin off title though. It's important to the story of RE, and is a main cannon game. I'm not arguing with you about 4. I actually DO think it deserves a REmake. From the ground up with the modern graphics of 6, a little more melee. A little LESS ammo. I think some small tweaks could make for a DAMNED good remake. That said, I think the popularity of Nemesis as the character would influence Capcom when it comes to a remake. I mean, he's still relevant. He was a character in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, 14 years after his debut as a "character."

It's a canon spinoff title. It's not really part 3, CVX is the real part 3 as it progresses the story. Why do you think RE3 is the only numbered game with a subtitle? The only reason they called it 3 was because Capcom had a deal with Sony. It's as important to the canon as Revelations is. Any of the older games qualify for remakes, they really do, but they aren't all worthy enough. Resident Evil 2 has had so much demand since REmake's release that it's reaching critical levels. You have people recreating the game because Capcom won't do it. You don't see that kind of support for any of the other games. Resident Evil 2 and 4 are really the only ones that offer something in return as I stated somewhere above.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
It doesn't sound to me like you want a remake, but a complete remaster. If so little should be changed like you say, it sounds to me like you just want RE4 with 5's pretty graphics.

Turo602

The King of Kings
It doesn't sound to me like you want a remake, but a complete remaster. If so little should be changed like you say, it sounds to me like you just want RE4 with 5's pretty graphics.

Yes, new puzzles and mixed enemy patterns equals nice graphics....

ArabPikachu

Knowing how Capcom made an RE4 rerelease with "Ultimate HD Edition" slapped on the title, it's hard for me to imagine Capcom wanting to give RE4 an update similar to what Nintendo did with Legend of Zelda Wind Waker: HD

It's possible of me to be wrong since Capcom might port over RE4 Ultimate HD Edition on mainstream consoles with more content than that recent PC rerelease of RE4

Top Bottom