• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

2021 RE Marathon Thoughts

RipvanX

RE0; 05:38:21; Deaths 0; Rating 3/5
I do feel this is one of the prettier titles in the series but it is held back by serious pacing issues. I had some fun managing items but it becomes a massive chore once you reach the Chapel area. Had a close call with a leech man but managed to pull through. I was really annoyed when I found out the elevators were a one way trip in the final area so that made my backtracking excruciating. This was definitely a title I was glad to get over with once Billy fired that Magnum shot to kill the Queen Leech.

REmake; 07:03:10; Deaths 0; Rating 5/5
One of the best titles in the series if not the best to this day. Playing through this was like walking through a park on a beautiful summer day. There is nothing to complain really about this game. Although I do like playing as Jill more since I was never a fan of the smaller inventory and old keys that Chris has to deal with. Had a close call with Lisa Trevor in her boss fight. I would say the game is significantly easier than the original but ill get to that next.

RE; 06:48:05; Deaths 2; Rating 3.7/5
The game that started it all. I first played the Deadly Silence version when I was still in school. I ended up playing this on a PS1 emulator. I have to say playing through this game is a nostalgic treat and a frustrating one at times as well. Particularly Chris' scenario becomes really cheap once the Hunters show up. Its ridiculous that they get i-frames when the spam jump at you and there's nothing you can do really besides try to run away. Yawn is also way faster than his remake counterpart. Ironically, I found this game to be scarier than the REmake because of its difficulty.

RE2; 04:08:30; Deaths 1; Rating 5/5
Still my favorite title for its story execution. Much like RE, the nostalgia is strong with this one. This title has the best atmosphere in the series and the music plays a big part of that. I had a close call with a Licker in Claire A but died to Mr. X in Leon B. I deserved it since I thought I could face tank him but he ended up using a haymaker and curb stomped me. Whats worse is I didn't save so had to start all over. Other than that, this game is much like REmake for me and I can play through it without much issue.

RE3; 03:12:03; Deaths 1; Rating 4.2/5
Another great title that has the best pursuer in the series to date. Nemesis is still just as terrifying as I remembered. He killed me in front of the save room after punching the hydrant on the wall. I tried running past him after doing the office area and he punched me into danger. Once I saw him load up his rocket launcher and aim at me I was like "Oh ****" and died right in front of the save room door. Good times haha! This games story is a bit barebones but it gets the job done and moves the game forward. I love using the freeze rounds on Nemesis but it perhaps makes the game too easy towards the end. I played on Hard which is Normal really.

REmake 2; 06:47:04; Deaths 3; Rating 4.5/5
My favorite modern title by far. I feel the gameplay in this title should be the blueprint for future titles going forward. I like this more than the original for its gameplay. The pacing to me is excellent and does a good job of mixing up the original. Mr. X in particular is a very cool pursuer, he ****s all over his original counterpart. However, some of the story changes were a mess and contradict later material that was established in earlier titles. The soundtrack had some nice tunes but overall was much weaker than the original. Some of the acting was better and more believable, while others were worse like Chief Irons. I also did The 4th Survivor first try and was very proud of managing that, but it got real close at the end haha!

REmake 3; 03:30:11; Deaths 12; Rating 3.2/5
I treat this game completely separate from the original and it helps with the enjoyment factor more. The characters and Hunters were much improved from the original but everything else fell flat. Despite it taking a little longer to beat, it felt short from its fast pacing. I had alot of fun with the Nemesis fight on the roof and the hospital is definitely the best part of the game for its atmosphere and sense of dread. The game was frustrating to me much like RE6 and doesn't even try to expand on the original at all. Its a solid title for what it is, but it should have been a DLC or something.

CODE: Veronica X; 05:59:14; Deaths 1; Rating 3.5/5
I love how ambitious the story is in this game. It does a good job of reuniting Chris and Claire and reintroducing Albert back into the fold. The characters were over the top. The pacing however is not very good in this game and is unfriendly to newcomers. The Nosferatu fight on the helipad is perhaps one of the worst boss fights in the series and the sniper rifle controls are awful. Much like RE2, this game has an excellent soundtrack. Poison Hunters can go **** themselves though.

RE4; 09:54:15; Deaths 12; Rating 4/5
I respect this game for what it did for the industry as a whole, but I have mixed feelings on it. I definitely don't like it as much as I once did. On the one hand the game is really fun and does a good job of introducing currency and weapon upgrading through a shop. While on the other hand, I don't like the pacing of the game and its story is weak. This is where they start introducing military like enemies which I am not particularly fond of but can tolerate. This game has some awesome boss encounters and the Village and Castle areas are great. Hopefully for a potential remake they can tweak its story more to be more engaging, rather than hearing Ashley scream and get kidnapped 10 times throughout the game. Regardless, its still a great game despite its shortcomings.

Revelations; 04:29:05; Deaths 2; Rating 3/5
This was one of my least favorite 3rd person titles but it was a decent attempt at injecting horror back into the franchise for its time. Its good to see Jill in a game again but I wasnt fond of her new look. Most of the characters in this game are cringy and forgettable, and this title's story is a complete mess. The whole game should of been on the ship instead of jumping around so much between characters. The Ooze in particular were a bit lackluster and not fun to shoot. The final boss was cool though and I always get a kick out of Chris' line "Its like a disco ball in my face" LOL. I wasn't a fan of how dumbed down the item management was, and scanning everything felt too much like Metroid Prime. Overall, its a solid entry but one that I won’t play regularly.

RE5; 06:10:33; Deaths 11; Rating 4/5
This title in particular grew on me the most out of all of them over the years. I used to be a big hater of 5 and felt like it ended the series in an unsatisfying way when it first came out. However, I feel like this is one of the better stories and it concluded many plots that have been with the series since 1996. It feels better paced than RE4, but also lacks in the enemy variety departments. Uroboros in particular has a lackluster design. This feels like the best action title right next to RE4, and does a good job of introducing co-op. I don’t like forced turret sequences in RE games though. The characters were great and Wesker had some of the best moments in the series.

Revelations 2; 07:10:48; Deaths 10; Rating 3.8/5
This was a big improvement over the first game and had the best depiction of Barry. He was great in this and the final boss always puts a smirk on my face. The references are eye rolling but amazing. Besides the characters though there are areas of this game that feel uninspired and boring. The prison, sewers, and mines I did not like but the dark forest and underground mansion were very cool. I felt like Claire's story was better paced, while Barry's suffered from pacing issues. Opening sluices and moving giant batteries felt like a trial of patience. Alex Wesker was great and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn did a great job portraying as her, I just wish she stuck around for longer than one game. The extra episodes were not very good, i got caught 5 times in Little Miss from bad enemy routing. This was a great title I feel despite its shortcomings.

RE6; 15:38:53; Deaths 17; Rating 2.5/5
The pink elephant in the room. Unlike RE5, this game never grew on me and is frustrating to go back to. Most of my deaths were from either forgetting where hazards were, or unreal circumstances that put me in harms way. There was a moment where I fell through the level and the camera started wobbling like crazy. That's another thing I don't like about this game, the camera movement makes you nauseous from trying to be "cinematic." This game is too bloated but it does have some good character moments. This feels like it should of been more of a CGI movie than a game and it shows with how on-rails it feels at times. The vehicle sections were not fleshed out well either but some were fun. This will probably stay my least favorite mainline title in the series, which is a shame.

RE7; 08:01:31; Deaths 10; Rating 3.7/5
I appreciate this game for bringing back the horror that was missing from the series for some time. The first part up until you defeat Marguerite is great and captures the feel of the Spenser Mansion and Residence from the first game. However, once Lucas starts showing up and you go to the ship the games quality definitely takes a nosedive. Jack Baker took up most of my deaths. Some of the boss fights are not very good like the chainsaw fight and bayou barn area. Eveline was a weak antagonist and felt cringy at times. This game was refreshing coming off of the other titles and the amount of DLC's is crazy. I liked End of Zoe a lot since I did Joe Must Die back in the day, so I was familiar with the mechanics. Not a Hero was a bit whatever but it got the job done of wrapping up the main story.

Total Time: 94:31:43; Deaths 82
Overall, I had a great time playing through most of the games again. I for sure enjoy the earlier titles more than the recent ones but they are not without their merits. The story can feel disjointed at times but the amount of characters this franchise has blows all the others out of the water imo. Perhaps this is why I always come back to this franchise. The characters are engaging enough and Capcom is always trying to reinvent the wheel. There is alot to love and hate about Resident Evil and I can't wait to see what RE8 has to offer. Hopefully someone else can share their thoughts if they had the time and ambition like me to do a project like this haha!

Last edited:
Top Bottom